For the last week, I’ve had a notification on my blog admin page that a new version of WordPress is available.
My original WordPress install was incredibly simple, as is the process of installing additional modules, so I clicked Update Now.
Ah. Right. I run WordPress on a Windows server as I write things in ASP.NET, and so far the Windows/WordPress combination has been a breeze. I’m sure the power of Google will fix this in a moment.
I found there were plenty of people with similar problems, but I found that as the vast majority of people run WordPress on servers running Linux, the advice to run chmod commands to change file permissions weren’t particularly useful. There are plenty of guides out there of how to do a manual update, but I felt part of the reasons behind using WordPress as a tool was the ease of use.
One particular blog had a posting of how to fix this in the Windows world, and was linked to by several websites, but alas that page reports 404 not found. So, I took a chance with the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Success! So in Windows we need to give temporary write access by the IUSR account to the root of the WordPress site, and also to the wp-content folder.
I use the tool WebsitePanel to configure my site, and thought I’d see what options that gives, rather than using remote desktop onto the server and changing the permissions via Windows.
FileManager in WebsitePanel has a padlock icon next to each folder – clicking on it reveals:
Hurrah, we’re up to date. For security I then removed the two write permissions, at least until the next update comes around.